Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer's Splashy Start


Since the school-year resumes so early in these parts (the week of August 10), summer's days already feel numbered, despite the fact that this is the first week of summer vacation. In order to maximize this precious time, we chose to kick it off by heading to the Pryors' lake house, along with the Plummers (sans dads, natch - somebody has to pay for this lifestyle). Six kids, three moms...it was hard not to feel outnumbered on more than one occasion. But if you put the outrageously loud voices (at least for 5:30 a.m.) and inability to get a truly good night's sleep aside, what you're left with is an energetic bunch who (mostly) enjoys each other's company and loves the water.


Which, by the way, was the perfect temperature. The days were just the right side of hot for me (a.k.a., not too hot, but warm enough to incite jumps into the water). And the water hovered around 84 degrees or so. We boated, we lazed on the dock, we fed fish, and we remarked what a difference a year makes. Last year I was trying to coax Clare into jumping in, which she finally did with a floaty. Danny wanted little to do with water. This time, Clare was the Cannonball Queen. And while still cautious, Danny spent quite a bit of independent time in the lake. He did a couple of jumps off the dock (after mustering up his courage by watching the other kids and counting to about a million), but it'll probably be next year before he's doing it with gusto. (Do you like how I oh-so-casually and presumptively wrote "next year"?)


Best of all, this time we got to try the Viper. I must first say that I am irritated with myself for not bringing my camera for this experience, but what can you do? The photo below shows you what the Viper looks like:


Now, in its full glory, you have two people seated on it while it is tethered to the back of the boat. The driver then drives the boat around the lake, as fast or slow as the Viper's passengers desire, and as bumpy (over the wake and waves) or as smoothly as they choose. I am happy to say that both kids tried it. Clare went for three rides, so she did like it, though she got nervous if it was too fast or bumpy. Her first ride was with Brady, and then she rode with me. The boat has to go a bit faster to pull an adult with satisfaction, so suffice it to say she was quick to blame me for the fact that she didn't like that ride as well.

While everyone was taking turns in the Viper, Danny was riding fairly placidly on the boat, and I didn't think he was really paying that much attention. But towards the end he announced that he wanted to ride on the Viper. My first reaction was that he would hate it, so no way. But Amy wisely counseled me to let him try it, figuring that we could get him off if he hated it. So, away he and I went - and he'd still be riding it if we let him! "Yippee ka yi yay!" he shouted over and over. "She's making me laugh!" he said, in reference to Jennifer driving the boat. Full smiles and joy on his face.
Damn me and my lack of camera!!!

We're off to Florida tomorrow for a family vacation, so stay tuned. I'll try not to miss any photo ops this time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great shot of Clare jumping off the dock! And good for brave Danny! Hope you have a great vacay! Can't wait for the next blog!