Sunday, December 3, 2023

The Great Tree


I made no bones about the fact that I was disappointed with last year’s Christmas tree. It was simply not big enough for our high ceilings - this room demands a BIG tree. While we usually try to go together to choose the tree (from Home Depot, of course), our schedules didn’t really permit that this year. So, Tim gave his blessing for me and Laura to select one.


It took us maybe 5 minutes to zero in on the behemoth that we now behold. It took a lot longer for the one-man show to get us checked out and loaded, but soon enough we were on our way home, where Danny helped me bring it straight into the living room and into the stand. Where it immediately fell over. Oops. 


To his credit, when he got home, Tim skipped over the “what were you thinking?” line of questions and went into “let’s make this work” mode. While it turns out that Danny and I had not put the tree into the stand straight, he also decided to anchor it to the wall to be certain it would hold. 


And in an act of true love, he and Danny put the lights on the tree after I went to bed - a chore I had been dreading. They’re the best!


We had Grammy & Grampy over to help us trim it, along with our usual feast. We had college football on in the background, the combination of which Danny declared to be his favorite day of the year.


It’s definitely our biggest tree ever, and I might go so far as to say it’s our best, too!


No comments: