Monday, January 11, 2010

Skating Through Life

Clare was recently invited to her first roller-skating party. Since she has never roller skated, it seemed unwise to send her off to the party without at least giving it a whirl. So I looked up the local rink and discovered that they offer free lessons on Saturdays from 12-1. I tried to pair this with a friend to make it a more fun outing, but unfortunately that didn't work out. Undaunted, Clare still wanted to go, so off we went.

We lucked out in that two sisters were also taking the lesson, one in kindergarten and the other in second grade. Clare was very happy to have partners in crime. I helped her get her fluorescent orange skates on, and then the three of them went off with Jarvis for their lesson. The first thing he taught them? How to fall. Brilliant! Especially since she proceeded to spend more time on her rear than on her feet. As I watched from the sidelines, I could see that she was focused and determined, and she would occasionally look my way and wave, but it seemed that she probably wasn't enjoying it too much. I mean, she took a lot of spills. But she never paused and immediately worked to get back up and try, try again.

At the end of the lesson she came over and shocked me by saying she thought it was so fun and she can't wait for the party next weekend. This, when I had mentally prepared to change her RSVP to a "no" after her exhausting experience today. I think this is a sign of what great character she has, and I'm using it as inspiration for my own attempts at new things in life.

1 comment:

Jennifer A Morlan said...

I am so proud of Clare. I agree that it show great character for her to try, try again. So many things come so easily to her--all things academic--for example. It would be easy for her to think, what the heck, I can already do plenty of stuff, why bother? with the things that are harder. Her attitude promises a full, happy life. Brava!