Thursday, July 23, 2009

Feline Update

Since they don't get a party this year, I decided it was at least time for an update on the boys. Quincy and Duncan are two now, and not much has changed about them. They remain steadfast friends, which is a good thing since we leave them to own their devices so much this time of year. They supposedly drive Tim up a while while the rest of us are out of town, flocking to him the moment he walks in the door from work, but if you ask me that sounds quite friendly and not at all annoying.

They did have one eventful adventure this year, just recently in May. We were sitting out back on the deck on a lovely spring evening, which means the windows were open throughout the house. Somehow the cats popped open one of the screens to a dining room window in the front of the house, and made their escape. I have no idea how long the window had been open. When I discovered it, we went outside and began calling for the cats. Quincy showed up immediately, trotting from out of the woods. Duncan, not so much. In fact, he was gone for two days. This is a long time, considering that I had seen a coyote on our street just the week before. I really assumed he was gone for good. At the time I was mostly thankful that it wasn't Quincy, because the kids are much more attached to him (this would be because he's the only one that lets them touch him). I felt sad for Quincy, too, who very clearly missed Duncan.

So two days later I come back from a run, only to find that Duncan has reappeared during my absence. I was much happier and relieved to see him than I would have thought (and again, much happier and relieved than either Clare or Danny). We have no idea where he spent his time, though I suspect he simply got lost and was cowering in the neighbors' bushes. Regardless, it feels more complete with him in the house. (And I know Susana will be relieved to read that.)

No comments: