Friday, April 23, 2010

A Girl After My Own Heart


Considering his age, Danny spends a disproportionate amount of time worried about death: his own as well as others'. He likes the idea of God bringing people back to life, though I fear the Easter message has gotten a bit jumbled, as he seems under the impression that death isn't permanent. I have chosen to leave this particular topic alone for the time being, because I think three-going-on-four is too young to lay awake at nights worried about mortality.

I was reminded today, though, that heaven could be a very appealing concept for him. After attending the precious First Grade Mass today, wherein the first graders proudly led the school in the service (and Clare did an outstanding job on her reading portion), I was in the hallway outside of the first grade classrooms when I noticed the above piece of art. Clare's musings on heaven were predictably pious and sweet, and I especially loved her use of the word "glorious," but my favorite line was sandwiched between the joy of being with Jesus and the angels and saints: "I think in heaven you can eat whatever you want!" This is exactly how I picture heaven, too! (With the added bonus of never having to go to the bathroom. Think about how great that would be!) I think I got this impression from the terrific movie "Defending Your Life," but I know Clare hasn't seen that, so perhaps it's just a case of the apple not falling far from the tree.

No comments: