Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How To Make Your Mom's Day


I'm not a particularly sentimental person. I estimate that I dispose of about 95% of the items the kids create/bring home from school. I just really dislike clutter, and I think multiple moves over the years have prevented me from being a pack rat. Of course, there are a few pieces so special that they are worth saving - I think Tim will always treasure the turkey drawing Danny made in preschool that says, "I am thankful for ninjas and my dad." The holidays tend to generate a certain amount of nostalgic artwork, and while I hesitate to say we expect them, I guess we sort of do. So when it's a random Tuesday, filled with the mundane duties of a stay-at-home mom, it's pretty awesome when your 9-year-old comes home with the following letter:

"Dear Mom,
Today we continued to read Because of Winn Dixie. Today's chapter discussed Opal's mother. The preacher mentioned 10 things Opal should know about her. It made me think about 10 things I love about you. Here they are:

1) You are a great cook and baker
2) You always do things for me so I don't have to
3) You always spend a lot of time with me
4) You are funny
5) You are a great singer
6) You are a very friendly person
7) You love meeting new people
8) You give me plenty of time to read
9) You read every night with me
10) You love me"


We parents don't really get report cards, but based on this I feel like I'm an A student. I think I'll hang on to this.