Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Our Part-Time Kid

This Friday night will be the first in five weeks that Clare is at home with us. I suppose the writing was on the wall the second day of school, when she came home sporting one half of a "best friends" necklace that she had received that day - the second of such necklaces she now owns. When the subject came up, she modestly told of an experience last year, when two girls were literally pulling on her arms arguing, "My Clare!" "No, my Clare!" I may be a bit biased, but I can't say I blame them. I love that our sweet, thoughtful girl is in high demand. Even more, I love how frequently I hear from her friends' moms, glowing about how wonderful Clare is. It's no wonder Danny has been brought to tears by Clare's frequent absences.

The following conversation between Tim and Clare also made me laugh:
(Thursday night) Clare, chatting with Tim who had just come home from work: Good night, Daddy!
Tim: Okay, good night sweetie. When will I see you again?
Clare: Um...Saturday?
 Tim, laughing: Okay, well, nice seeing you - thanks for stopping by.

 I can't imagine what her high school years will be like - we'll probably have to refer to photographs of her to jog our memory. On the other hand, we're happy to share the love.

No comments: