Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sing Us a Song, He's Piano Dan



For a few months now, Danny has been saying that he would like to take piano lessons. At first, as usual, I didn't take him very seriously. I mean, where does this fit in with his pursuit of an NFL career? I just didn't think he had the focus. But his persistence paid off, and as Clare's teacher had an opening we decided to give it a try.

I should mention that this inaugural lesson was supposed to take place last Wednesday. When I awoke him for school, he leaped out of bed and shouted, "Hooray! It's piano day!" Alas, we were inflicted with severe weather that entailed power outages galore, so we figured it would be best to postpone. It is hard to overemphasize how distraught Danny was with this news when I picked him up from school that day. Apparently the weather already had him in tears at school (they spent part of the afternoon in tornado prep, and the rain was coming down in veritable sheets), and this disappointment was just too much.

After stewing about it for several days, we finally came around to the long-awaited following Wednesday, when he once again jumped out of bed with joy for the upcoming lesson. I think he truly enjoyed it, too, as he shyly told me (while still sitting on the teacher's piano bench), "It was really fun!" He proceeded to inform the gal cutting his hair that today was his first lesson, and that he loved it. I realize the enthusiasm will wane, but this is the stuff that's so fun to witness and document.
Laura, too, has mentioned once or twice, "Piano? Me?" I wonder how quickly she'll wear me down for these life experiences?

No comments: