Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Game's Afoot


At age three, Laura has achieved an important milestone in my book: the ability to play games. Games that involve actual direction, rules, and purpose. Not arbitrary "games" wherein she is the only decision maker. Right after her birthday, I dusted off a couple of jumbo puzzles and the princess memory game from Clare's toddlerhood. Major hits, all of them. Of course, I now find myself playing a lot of rounds of memory, but it's a worthwhile trade-off.


Yesterday she figured out how to put the dresses on her beloved princess dolls - the only thing she requested for Christmas. To see her sitting peacefully, playing with them by herself, is one of the best things I have seen in a long time. Definitely one of those light-at-the-end-of-the-dependent-toddler-tunnel moments.

No comments: