Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The House That Larry Built


Last summer, on our annual visit to Topeka, I admired the dollhouse at my aunt's house that her grandfather had made for her. I instantly took pictures and emailed them to Donna, wondering if Larry would be willing to create something similar for Laura. It was a simple, straightforward design that used a few pieces of wood, some nails and paint.

The next thing I knew, I was getting a flurry of emails inquiring about desired scale, dimensions, and colors. Weeks later I received photos of Larry at hobby shops and dollhouse aficionado headquarters, where he secured items such as siding, shutters, window and door casings; and later hard at work in his garage - he dove into this project with serious gusto!
The result is a piece that I know Laura's granddaughters, like my aunt's, will be playing with for years to come. In the meantime, though, all three of our kids are putting it to good use!

No comments: