Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chapters, Vol. II

My words will have to form the picture here, because it was not a camera moment. But I really hope I remember it. It began with the kids fed, bathed, and freshly PJ'd by 6:05 p.m., so they had permission to go off and play. Clare characteristically high-tailed it to her room. Danny uncharacteristically went downstairs and was playing beautifully by himself. I took the opportunity to finish folding laundry, and then decided that if I went downstairs to check the computer, I would distract Danny. So instead I plunked myself on my bed and started to read. A few minutes later, Clare came out to ask me a question, saw that I was reading, and eagerly joined me with her own book. Moments later, Danny wandered upstairs, pirate sword in hand, and I assumed our peaceful reading time was finished.

Instead, he asked, "Where's mine?" I half-heartedly pointed to another paperback on my nightstand, which he grabbed and then nestled with between me and Clare. The three of us remained thus for far longer than you would guess, despite the fact that Danny's book had no pictures whatsoever. He made amiable conversation with me about my book, his book, and also with Clare, but at other times he was happy to sit and turn pages after thoughtful gazes. I couldn't help but sneak several sidelong glances at him, with his cute, pudgy feet, one leg crossed over the other knee, and also at Clare, thoroughly engrossed in her book and not at all annoyed by his chatter.

What better way to head off to book club?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Hi Liz! just had to leave a comment because I just discovered your comments on my blog! No one ever comments, so I had stopped even looking. Too funny. Anyway - thanks for appreciating my soy sauce catastrophe... and for feeling my pain on the 3-year olds... I'm so done with 3. Counting down the days till Jan. 5, 2010. Enjoyed the sweet moment of the three of you reading together... Sounds peaceful!