Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Flights of Fancy


When I began writing this post, I figured it would be a quick recap of Clare's "show day," the final gymnastics class of the session. But when I recalled her teacher's comments about Clare's time at The Little Gym, which began when she was 2-1/2 (followed by a two year hiatus), I realized that this place was really the starting point for our strong friendships in Atlanta. This was, after all, where I met Amy, and by extension Jennifer. Wow. Clearly, it has all been money well spent.

This time around, Clare thinks so, too. I think the seeds of interest in gymnastics were first planted by her much-adored cousins, Katy and Nicki. Since she once declared that she will never play any sports, I was delighted when she expressed interest in taking gymnastics and quickly signed her up in January. Let me tell you, they give these girls a workout. For a full hour they run, tumble, leap and stretch their muscles. Each week Clare emerged from class breathless but buoyant and even once exclaimed, "I love gymnastics as much as school - and you know how much I love school!"

So we were eager to show our support for her show day. Tim even left work early to attend class. We both know that none of this comes naturally to her, but she practiced her routines with as much determination as any of them. And she was beaming with pride at the end, which is once again worth the price of admission.


As a postscript, I have to record something Clare said tonight, because it encapsulates what really does come naturally to her: words. We were in the kitchen, getting ready for dinner. She looked out the window as a gust of wind blew through the trees and remarked, "It's like the trees are leaning back with laughter." Priceless.

1 comment:

Amy B said...

Wow, her trees laughing comment is very profound. I bet Clare is going to be a great writer. I wonder where she gets that...