Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Field Day



Clare has been counting down the days until Field Day for approximately two weeks. Field Day also happens to be the last day of school, but that isn't what Clare was looking forward to. As a matter of fact, she will tell you that she is only "kind of" excited that it's summer vacation. And, aside from daily trips to the pool, she has so far spent her free time working on all the pages in her school workbooks that they did not get around to completing in class. So there you go.

Due to a last-minute plea for volunteers, I found myself in the thick of Field Day this year. I can see why Clare was excited: three-plus hours of games and stations, many of which involved water. Thankfully, I did not have one of these aquatic duties, although in retrospect I would have gladly taken one in exchange. Instead, I was assigned to the parachute. This involved a giant, rainbow parachute wherein we would call out colors, and if a child was holding on to that color they had to run underneath the parachute to the other side. As group leader, I was also part of this activity. Did I mention this was three hours? As I write this, I am merely biding my time until Danny heads in for quiet time and I can take a nap.

Clare was in the very last group to come through my station, which was a nice pick-me-up. She was obviously having a blast, as were all the other kids. In the end, that's what it's all about, right?

The top picture is of Clare and Molly, her "new" friend. Molly is another first-grader, but from a different first grade. Evidently they recently discovered each other during recess, and Clare is very hopeful that they will be in the same second grade class. As we figured out today, we'll know in about 75 more days. And we look forward to second grade very much - but I think we'll all enjoy our summer vacation first!

No comments: