Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer campers

The other day, Tim and I were remarking on Danny's speech of late. His sentences are getting lengthier, and he's initiating much more conversation, as opposed to repeating or responding to something someone else has said. A good example of this occurred this morning, when I got him up. Somehow, without my reminding him, he remembered that he was scheduled to go to summer camp today. "I don't want to go to summer camp," he said in a quiet, sweet voice. As we still had several hours before it was time to go, I just glossed over it and we read stories. The morning passed pleasantly, partially due to Clare's near-euphoria about going to summer camp (and NOT returning to swimming lessons), so when I bundled everyone in the car Danny was happy enough. Not so when we turned into school, however. He screamed at the top of his lungs, "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SUMMER CAMP!" and I thought about how I think that's the longest sentence he's yet put together. Nevertheless, Danny is at summer camp. I wonder if he'll employ one of his favorite phrases when I pick him up: "you big meanie!"