Saturday, March 28, 2009

The pARTy


It took Clare a long time to decide where to have her birthday party this year. I think the combination of so many options and the knowledge that she only gets a party every other year led to this careful deliberation. But once she settled on The Vinings School of Art, there was no looking back. And I am happy to report that not only do I think it was the perfect choice for her, but evidently for everyone else, because the teachers remarked that this group (comprised of 16 five- and six-year-old girls!) was the best-behaved group they had ever had.


I was really proud of Clare as a hostess, too. We mentioned to her how important it would be to talk to each of her guests and make them all feel welcome, and she took this responsibility very seriously. Since the group was so large, they were divided into two rooms right across from each other. Clare was able to float back and forth between the two, and I saw her make an effort to go up to each girl and chat with her. I heard her ask a few, "What's your favorite stuffed animal at home?" and other similar questions, which I thought was really cute. She had clearly planned some conversation points ahead of time.


The whole party was relaxed and cute, but I do wish I had this one moment on video: They gathered the girls into one room when it was time for cupcakes. While they were waiting for the goodies, they girls started chanting, "Clare is the best! Clare is the best!" Clare's reaction was priceless, because she was both beaming with pride and happiness and also totally embarrassed.


A large part of me is happy to have the party over for another two years, but I will admit that it was actually a fun afternoon. Of course, it helps that Tim and I just got to hang out and observe (well, and pay the bill, plus a babysitter to stay home with Danny - totally worth it, by the way). But it's nice to know that Clare has a knack for making lovely friends - and ones that I might just be willing to hang out with more often.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I was going to call you and see how it went, but I knew I could count on you for a blog post! You must be so proud! Clare is a beautiful, smart and witty young lady - just like her mommy! I'm glad the party was a success.

Pry into the Pryor's said...

Olivia loved the party. She is so proud of her kitty and mouse. This is a piece of artwork she actually plays with-who would have thougth? Clare is a keeper...

Unknown said...

Liz, I write this comment smiling through tears... what a lovely and kind little lady Clare is! How fortunate for you and Tim to be able to listen it and witness such cuteness! I am glad you survived and even had a little fun!