Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's the Lesson, Exactly?


I can't quite identify the sounds Danny is making right now. It's part race car, part ambulance, with a dash of superhero sound effect thrown in. He is sitting at the dining room table, happily coloring while wearing newly-acquired-from-the-hand-me-down box Spider Man jammies, having recently taken a shower (his new favorite activity). And he's in the best damn mood, something he has managed to sustain for the majority of the past six days (of course, I just jinxed it). I am able to accurately count how long this mood has lasted, because that's how long he has been without any of his beloved TV shows.

I thought I was so smart when I took away his TV privileges. Surely this would turn the tide, and he would finally poop on the potty. Something the enticement of shark gummies didn't manage, nor the allure of his beautiful new bunk beds. After all, Danny loves to lounge on the couch and watch Diego, or Little Einsteins, or Charlie & Lola.

Apparently that love affair wasn't as deep as I imagined it to be. Lest you think watching shows has been replaced by lots of games and playroom time with Mommy, think again. I have kept myself busy with laundry, school paperwork, cleaning, and cooking. And Danny has joyfully joined in each of these tasks, but most especially the cooking. He is cheerful, makes great conversation, and is using his imagination more than ever. I always recognized the perils of television in causing lazy bodies and minds. But it never occurred to me what it might be doing to his mood.

So, what do I take away from this? No, he hasn't pooped where I want him to. He knows that this frustrates me, too, which I suspect is part of the motive behind his pleasantries. But you know what? I'll take them! I've spent more enjoyable time with him during the last week than I have in a shamefully long time. So when he does get those TV privileges back, I'm going to be a lot more stingy with them. Because it turns out that the privilege of each other's company is a lot more coveted.

No comments: