Sunday, March 8, 2009

Whoa.


Neither of us saw this one coming. This afternoon, when Clare emerged from quiet time and found me reading on my bed, she elected to grab her book and join me. The time passed pleasantly, although she was a wee bit chatty for my taste. Anyway, at one point she turned to me and asked, "Can I put myself to bed tonight?" WHAT?! Of course, she already puts her pajamas on and brushes her own teeth (and her latest dentist visit confirmed that she's doing an admirable job of this). Which means that all she was really cutting out was our story time. The one we implemented when she was eight weeks old (at the time, she screamed her head off during the story, but within a week she was enjoying that part tremendously). But she asked so very pleasantly, and hopefully, and was just so excited about the prospects that we had to give in. I made her promise that she would stop after two chapters. Being the rule-abiding child that she is, I'm not worried about that. No, I'm just wondering if it's always going to feel like someone sucker punched us every time she decides she can do something on her own?

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh wow - I don't know how I would feel about that! On one hand, elated, but on the other hand, heartbroken! I mean, isn't the bedtime story one of those "baby" rituals that we can hold on to for years???

Crystal said...

Oh wow - I don't know how I would feel about that! On one hand, elated, but on the other hand, heartbroken! I mean, isn't the bedtime story one of those "baby" rituals that we can hold on to for years???

Unknown said...

It was sad for me when Maggie made that decision, too. I had just read her THE SECRET GARDEN from start to finish, using all my best voices....

Fortunately, I am still allowed to sing to her every night, so even though she does EVERYTHING else by herself, I am still the one to turn out the light.