Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fort Niagara State Park





I always used to wonder why Niagara Falls was the cliched honeymoon spot of old. It seemed sort of random, and limited. That was before I was introduced to the area, and to how expansive it really is.




We opted to have a family outing today and returned to Fort Niagara, inside Fort Niagara State Park. Of course Danny was smitten as soon as he heard the word 'fort,' and Clare was thrilled at the thought of an 'old-fashioned' destination. I remembered spectacular views if Lake Ontario and the Niagara River. None of us was disappointed.




After exploring the fort, we took a picnic lunch over to a beautiful waterside spot. As always, I marveled at how much the Great Lakes can be mistaken for the ocean.









After some eating and plenty of fresh air, we decided to make one more stop on our way home: Whirlpool State Park. We got a great look at the Whirlpool Rapids, described as "a dangerously turbulent stretch of the Niagara River downstream from Niagara Falls."








I was the only member of the family interested in the cable car that floats over and above the rapids, and the only one who thought the jet boat tour looked fun. Still, I'd say this is a part of the world we were all quite taken with. I could definitely envision a romantic getaway in these parts...or another family excursion.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: