Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving in D.C.









I confess I was dreading this trip. Not the destination, mind you, but the traveling. We had decided it would be most economical to drive, despite the 10-hour (11? 9?) duration. The kids spend so much in the car as it is, I really figured it would be torturous. But, it was going to be a means to an end.

Fortunately, the drive itself was downright pleasant. Sure, the kids would cop to some boredom and restlessness, but overall I think our travel days went far more smoothly than I dared to dream. I attribute a big part of this to the fact that the five of us don't really get much quality time together, so the sheer pleasure of each other's company kept things bearable. (So did the abundance of electronics, of course.)

I will say that, in retrospect, Clare and Danny are still a bit too young to fully appreciate the wonders of D.C. While I couldn't wait to get to the Mall to view the memorials and explore museums, I think they were most happy when we wandered down the block from Karen and Brian's place to enjoy playgrounds and cafes. And that's fine, too. We had glorious weather that made all of it (plus a Thanksgiving morning run with Terri and Mike!) possible.

So, I am thankful for a family that it was well worth driving so far to see. I am thankful for my kids with whom it was not a chore to drive 20+ hours in five days. And I am thankful for my country, because while it certainly struggles to agree on how best to function, it is still the greatest place in the world to live.

No comments: