Sunday, August 11, 2013

I Never Expected Paradise To Be So Messy


While I try to stay relatively relaxed about it on the outside, I am a bit of a neat freak. I detest clutter, and a tidy house makes me happy and relaxed. I have tried to instill in my kids the need to put things away when you are finished with them. It's definitely a work in progress, with the exception of Clare who is an A+ student.

So I have surprised myself with my willingness to let the basement play room remain so ridiculously messy. It helps that I can only see it when I go downstairs. Above all, though, is the fact that since it opened for business, this room has kept my kids busy for HOURS. This is exactly what I hoped would happen, although I naturally pictured them keeping their Legos in neat and orderly structures, or perhaps filed away in the bins. Oh well - as one friend told me, in a few short years this room will not look this way at all, because they will be too old and too busy to play.

It's reaping rewards, too. I feel much more confident hosting friends for play dates, knowing the kids have plenty of space to play without being on top of one another. I know it's good to be the house where the kids congregate, and as they get older I am happy to be one of those houses (not so much with the toddler set). Play on, kiddos...just close the door when you're finished, please.

No comments: