Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Not so doggish after all...






Most people who know me are aware that I'm a bit of a grinch when it comes to summer, and specifically heat. At least, those people who live near me in Atlanta. They didn't devote an entire AJC article last week to the nickname "Hotlanta" for nothing. And of course I have every dermatologist in the world, not to mention my parents, affirming my lack of desire to hang out in the sun. My friends, however, aren't quite in the same camp, which is probably a good thing as far as the socialization of my children goes. They actually welcome the summer solstice, as opposed to using it as a launching point for the countdown to autumn. Weirdos. Anyway, today was part of what is becoming a very long, summer camp-less week, so Amy lured me on an outside adventure to the Atlanta Botanical Garden. A lovely place anytime of year, but particularly appealing to children in the summer owing to the Sunflower Fountain in the Children's Garden. We had a fun, laid-back day exploring the various gardens, picnicking on the lawn, and playing on slides, tree-houses and eventually the fountain. It took Danny approximately 20 minutes before he decided to stick a toe in the watery mayhem, but he ultimately embraced it whole-heartedly - probably inspired by his water nymph of a sister. Between this field trip and what has become our daily visit to the pool, I will grudgingly admit that maybe summer isn't quite so atrocious after all. (Of course, I say this as I prepare to take off for two weeks in California...)