Saturday, January 31, 2009

All About Danny


The other day, while unpacking Danny's backpack after school, I found an "All About___" poster for me to complete. Apparently next week Danny is "Student of the Week" in his class, and they use these posters to showcase the honored student. After reviewing the various categories, I immediately thought, "This is going to be great blog fodder." Danny didn't disappoint, either. The various categories/questions are mostly things I have never bothered to ask him, and frankly things I don't think he's given a whole lot of thought to. Thus, I opted to go with the method of asking him several times, knowing his answers would vary. I tallied his responses and put the ones most frequently cited on the poster. But I thought a few of you might get a kick out of reading all of his answers:

My favorite animal is: cow (2), giraffe (1), tiger (1), horse (2, including the one time he specifically said "Appaloosa horse"). This question was the biggest indicator that Danny doesn't completely understand what "favorite" means, because there is no doubt in anyone's mind that his favorite animal is the horse.

My favorite food is: pizza (4), fries (1), meatballs (1)

My favorite color is: blue (he was consistent on this one)

My favorite place is: Kangazoom (he said this every time, but I have to qualify it by mentioning that we went there on Wednesday, so had we gone instead to the aquarium or the zoo, I suspect that his answer would have been different)

When I grow up, I want to be: a cowboy who rides a horse (3), a hyena (1 - this was his initial response, which naturally put Clare and I into gales of laughter), a baseball player who hits the ball (1, and obviously the best kind to be), a lion (1). Mom and Dad, apparently all the Willie Nelson I listened to growing up, including "Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," did not sink in...

My favorite thing to do is: work (4 - ha! the boy has no idea what that means); I coached him into a more suitable answer for the poster, which wound up being play baseball and play horses. I suppose I'm mostly relieved he didn't say, "watch TV."

If I had one wish, I would wish for: a horsey (2), but he also didn't like answering this question and frequently refused. I take this to mean that his life is so terrific that he feels no need to wish for anything.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow - you were so thorough! I think I will do the same sort of thing for Kylie when it's her turn for student of the week (if I can actually plan ahead that far). And yes, I think Danny's life is probably perfect enough that he doesn't have anything to wish for... :)

A King, A Queen, and their Princesses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A King, A Queen, and their Princesses said...

I think for sure he is ready to join Facebook. This is way similar to your 25 things that people don't know about you :-)