Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Perfect 10


It's been a fairly normal weekend around here. Considering that I generally really like our weekends, I think that's a great way for Tim and I to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. As I think about how our weekend has gone, it makes me appreciate our marriage and our family and hopeful that the next decade will be as rewarding.

Friday, Oct. 2, was our actual anniversary. Tim played poker. Well, first we made homemade pizzas with the kids and watched Toy Story. Then he went to play poker, and shortly thereafter I went to bed. I wanted to get a good night's sleep for the 10 miles Allyson and I ran Saturday morning (fairly early, might I add). These runs, including transportation and coffee stops, take well over two hours, so I figure it's a decent trade for the poker thing.

Later on Saturday I took soccer duty with Danny while Tim spent some time with Clare. He took her on an adventure that involved crossing the oh-so-exciting bridge between the Cumberland Mall parking lot and the Galleria, as well as riding the elevator of the Waverly Hotel. Tim is great at making these things exciting, which is one of the things I admire about him as a dad. I think we both enjoyed getting some one-on-one time with the kids, too.

We rendezvoused at the house in the afternoon (Tim brought me gorgeous pink roses, which Clare helped select), and watched another nail-biter of a football game with the Irish barely victorious over Washington. The kids weren't quite as interested in the football game as we would have liked, but I managed to keep them entertained with the Halloween decorations while keeping one eye on the game. Danny was especially interested in the decorations, though I wonder if that was because he thought putting them up would instantly bring Halloween.

Once overtime ended, we hustled the kids into bed and then performed Clark Kent-like feats of preparation for our date night. Of course we'd like to go out even more frequently, but Tim and I do manage to get out a fair amount. While we're going to fully toast this milestone anniversary with a weekend away next month, we decided to at least go out to dinner this weekend. (For the locals: We opted for Floataway Cafe, which we definitely recommend.)

Today has been a fairly average Sunday as well, with bagels, church, and low-key time at home. Danny did have a make-up soccer game to attend, which meant no nap for him. To counter-act any potential over-tiredness, Tim patiently read several Halloween stories to Danny, who was contentedly perched on his daddy's lap. Now the two of them are off to the game. When they return we'll feed and bathe the kids and then plan to make ourselves a delicious steak dinner. We do try to eat as a family more often than not, but sometimes our desires for an adults-only Sunday night dinner prevails. It's a carry-over from our newlywed days, when that night was sometimes the only home-cooked dinner we made that week.

Times have changed, and so have we, but the evolution has been a wonderful journey. I look forward to seeing what progressions the next years unfold!

2 comments:

Pry into the Pryor's said...

Happy 10 year anniversary, my dear. I agree, what a lovely way to celebrate.

Amy B said...

Sounds like a great weekend - Happy Anniversary!