Friday, May 25, 2012

Paging Mr. Banks


Yesterday, the first day of summer vacation, Danny solemnly informed Tim of "the summer rules" regarding electronics: computers, iPads, etc. would be available only during Laura's nap. Tim laughed and told Danny, "Mommy likes her rules, Dan." And it's true. I really, really do.

I like structure, and routine makes my heart soar. Which is probably the biggest reason I dread summer so much, aside from the heat. I find myself nodding in agreement with Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins, singing "The Life I Lead":

A British bank is run with precision
The British home requires nothing less
Tradition, discipline and rules must be the tools
With out them disorder, catastrophe, anarchy
In short you have a ghastly mess


I realize that's a bit histrionic, but I can't help what pops into my head. If only babies respected rules and structure. For the third day in a row, Laura was awake before 5:30 a.m. Which means she's currently taking a morning nap, despite being of the age where she really should have outgrown it (the photo above was taken at the trail yesterday, where she fell asleep at 7:15 a.m. due to her early awakening). Which also means the TV is on. So...let's go fly a kite?

Ah, summer.

No comments: